Caseworker to Stuart McMillan MSP (Full Time)
Role: The successful applicant will join the constituency team assisting Mr McMillan in his day to day duties as a Member of the Scottish Parliament and providing assistance and an information service for constituents.
Location: Regional Office in Greenock with some travel to the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh.
Salary: £18,000 – £21,000 depending on skills and experience. The post attracts an employer’s pension contribution equivalent to 10% of salary.
Hours: The applicant will be required to work 37 hours per week.
Holiday entitlement: 25 days per annum, pro rata with 10.5 public and privilege holidays.
Job Description (duties may include):
• Dealing with Constituency Casework and other Enquiries
• Liaise with government agencies, voluntary sector, local authorities and others to resolve problems,
• Meeting with and corresponding with constituents,
• Drafting letters as required,
• Maintaining records of client contact and following up issues,
• Undertaking Research, Preparing Briefings,
• Undertaking Consultations and Surveys,
• Organising Parliamentary and other Events,
• Organising Surgeries,
• Monitoring Parliamentary Business,
• Dealing with Parliamentary Questions and Motions,
• Any other duties as required to facilitate work of MSP
• Attend surgeries and other meetings to assist MSP in dealing with constituents’ issues.
• Attending meetings and events on behalf of MSP.
• Assist with the work of other colleagues as required and communicate appropriately with internal and external contacts.
• Occasional irregular hours and weekend work as required.
• Knowledge and experience of research methods.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Flexible approach to working with the ability to work on own initiative and under time pressure.
• Dealing with sensitive information and respecting the requirement of confidentiality for constituents.
• Effective team working skills and the ability to supervise voluntary workers.
• Excellent organisational and planning skills.
• Knowledge and understanding of issues affecting the West of Scotland.
• Good knowledge of Scottish Politics.
• Proficiency with computers and Microsoft office.
• Full Drivers Licence (preferable)
You will also be an organised individual with good time management and communication skills who should be able to work on their own, as well as being part of a team.
To apply, send your CV and a covering letter showing how you meet the requirements to Stuart McMillan MSP at either of the following addresses:
• Email: email@example.com
• Address: Stuart McMillan MSP, 4 Argyle Street, Greenock PA15 1XA
Closing date is 5pm, Wednesday 27th May 2015
Interviews will take place W/C 1st June 2015
It is hoped the successful applicant can take up employment as soon as possible