Stuart McMillan MSP for Greenock and Inverclyde has today welcomed a further £1 million worth of investment into the A8 and A78.
Scotland Transerv, who maintain the local trunk road network on behalf of Transport Scotland, has announced their autumn resurfacing programme.
Mr McMillan, who has campaigned for improvements to the A8 and A78 continuously since becoming an MSP, commented saying:
“Following my meeting with Transport Scotland’s Chief Executive last year and my two drives around Inverclyde with senior Transport Scotland officials last summer and last month, I welcome this significant investment to the area and I am glad my pressure is paying off.
“I have always had positive and productive discussions with both Transport Scotland and Scotland Transerv, but often I have felt the follow-up actions haven’t been quick enough.
“However, to see such a significant amount of investment being announced following my most recent drive around the constituency is a real positive. Also, being able to bring the local Chamber of Commerce into recent discussions has allowed Transport Scotland to hear first-hand from the business community who rely on these roads to run their businesses.
“I am particularly pleased that resurfacing works on the A8 Westbound approach to Newark Roundabout are due to commence. This is something I have raised with Transport Scotland on numerous occasions.
“While all works announced are positive, I will continue to raise issues and as always I am happy to hear form any of my constituent who wish for me to raise issues on their behalf.”
A list of the improvements announced today –
Planned resurfacing at –
• A8 Westbound approach to Newark Roundabout
• A8 Pottery Street to Bogston
• A8 Westbound approach to Bullring Roundabout, and
• A78 Southbound Spango Valley resurfacing
• Resurfacing of the A8 Eastbound between Layby and Langbank Rail Overbridge
• Improvements to the pedestrian guardrail at Barrs Cottage
• Access improvements at Chrisswell, and
• Ongoing investigation works at Oak Mall in Greenock
External to Inverclyde
• Resurfacing of A78 Eglinton Terrace to Skelmorlie Castle Road
• Phase 1 resurfacing of the A78 through Fairlie,
• Access improvements at Seamill